Among the factors considered to be designated a Fellow of the NCHC are:
- NCHC, regional, and/or state honors organization leadership
- Scholarly activities relating to honors education
- NCHC, regional, and/or state honors special events, institutes, etc.
- Recognition for outstanding honors teaching on the home campus
- Assistance provided to other honors programs/colleges (site visits, consulting, etc.)
- Content of the nomination letters - in order to be considered for the Fellows distinction, candidates must be nominated by three (3) current NCHC professional, student, or institutional members, only one of whom may be from the same institution as the candidate.
- Demonstrated record of sustained commitment to honors education
The Fellows of the NCHC are: